10 Things No One Ever Tells You About Split Ends!
1. You can’t undo damage: once your hair split, it CAN’T be repaired. The only fix is a haircut.
2. Trim your hair: Regular haircuts are important, every 6 weeks, much longer your hair goes from split ends to split hair shaft. Then a trim will not be enough.
3. Don’t over wash your hair: Washing your hair every other day allows your hair to repair itself with is own natural oils. Washing every day strips your hair of essential oils making it vulnerable to breakage and hence, “split ends.”
4. How you shampoo and condition makes a difference: Shampoo your scalp and condition your ends. Don’t pile your hair on top of head and go to scrubbing, BE NICE!
5. Seal with cool water: Especially if you are blonde! Cool water causes the cuticle layer of your hair to contract and lay down smooth.
6. Be gentle: When towel drying your, be sure to gently squeeze excess moisture out.
7. Use a W I D E T O O T H comb: Using a wide-tooth comb will prevent breakage of your hair. Hair is most prone to breakage when wet.
8. Dry your hair correctly: Blow drying your hair on high hot will undo all the care and conditioning you have done up to this point. I like to have my hair dry naturally, to the 80% point before I use my dryer and brush, then NEVER pull through if the brush meets resistance, continue drying and working the brush until it glides through effortlessly.
9. Fake it til you make it: Adding a little serum or an oil to your ends will “mask” your split ends and make them less noticeable. Ask your stylist about the correct serum or oil for your hair type. There are some REALLY GOOD ones out now.
10. Professional vs Store: Is there a difference? You betcha! Typically, store brands are in alkaline, which causes the hair shaft to swell, making the cuticle stand away from the shaft, causing the appearance of fuzzy hair. Yes, professional products cost a little more, only you can put a price on your hair health.